Sunday, January 26, 2014

To Kill a Mockingbird -Sam Popham


Source and Object Description: A book from my bookshelf. The book is an award winning, well beloved story that can be read by all audiences and in my case owned for high school English class but very well cherished.
Typeface Description: The font is sans serif and all caps. The small circle features smaller, lowercase, italicized typeface that works well with the uppercase font. There is lots of spacing between letters.
How does it enhance the message? The typeface matches well with the tone of the book. The story talks about the contrasting feelings of injustice and honor and by using white on black for the title one can feel that sharp contrast. The spacing and the sans serif give off the seriousness of the books content as well. It's not too formal with it's lack of serifs so as to appeal to the more modern viewer. The colors all work well together as also.
How will this influence my work? I really enjoy the color scheme and the simplicity of the design of the typeface as well as the entire layout of the cover. I hope to learn more about simplicity in design with typefaces. I admire the use of fonts in an easy to read format for the reader. The hierarchy is very obvious as well. I would love to design a cover like this myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment