Monday, February 23, 2015

Deyton Koch #5

  


I was looking through old design text books for my blog this week. These posters are from Graphic Design Thinking: Beyond Brainstorming by Ellen Lupton, (I admit I do not remember for which class this book was for). There is so much I could say about all 8 of these posters, and I really should take some close up shots so that you can see them better. But it was how these posters were made that really intrigued me. The section I found these examples under was titled "Sprinting", and that is a term that I was unfamiliar with after 4 years of design school. Anyway, "sprinting" is a "technique for breaking out of your own habits by forcing yourself to come up with a new visual solution in a fixed time frame and then moving on quickly to try something else". So these posters were intentionally designed very fast (I will include the details in this blog), both for typographic experimentation and the results are successful in some very diverse ways. Obviously, they could be polished up, but that is irrelevant. This sounds like a useful assignment to try myself, especially if I feel like I am stuck or need inspiration, or just want to force myself to try something new.

Twitter Typography Series (left). These posters use tweets from the five most heavily subscribed Twitter feeds between October 13 and 15, 2009. In order to experiment with typography in a quick, immediate way, the designer created one hundred posters in a series of thirst-minute design sprints. She chose twenty-five designs to print and display. Design: Krissi Xenakis.

Mars Book Sprints (right). The designer employed sprinting in order to generate multiple typographic concepts for a book design. Her parameters included using variations of a centered grid, using only black and white, and using only the typefaces HTF Whitney and Bodoni. The text is from Carl Sagan's Cosmos (1980). The designer created a total of twelve page variations. Design: Christina Beard.



No comments:

Post a Comment