Monday, March 3, 2014

A Boatload of Something?



Source: Alkek Library 6th floor

Type Classification: Serif, a creepy serif

What is it?: It is a book that I found in the Library last week when I was looking for an exhibition book.  I didn't have time to look inside, so I just snapped a quick picture before I left.  I looked it up, and I think the title of the book is "A Boatload of Madmen" by Dickran Tashjian.  It is a book of surrealism front the 1920's to the 1950's.

Analyze this piece:  The type itself looks as if Dali decided he wanted to make a type inspired by his own paintings.  The thorns that poke out from the counter space of the "o"s really give it a scary, harsh reality feeling that surrealism can give to the audience of the piece.

How will this influence my work?:  I love the creepiness that only spiny gothic gates in front of large houses can give.  This typeface definitely gives off that same feeling.  Next time I want something to be creepy, I would love to re-create this type for the modern world.  As long as the modern world can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment