Monday, March 2, 2015

Ashley Tann

Photo found at jasonbooher.com 
This is a book cover for Lord of the Flies designed by Jason Booher, the art director of Blue Rider Press. The audience is anyone wanting, or obligated, to read this book. I'm not sure of the typeface used, but it is a sans-serif. I like that Booher chose a simple typeface because there is already a lot happening with the layout and the background image. The background image is a Rorschach test mark that, on its side, resembles a pig, and standing up feels like blood and violence. The layout of the type is frenzied-feeling and somehow ominous. Although the title and author's name have different styles, the mixture of the two on the page hurts legibility. I'm not too upset with this though because I think it ties in so well to the book--it's like the type is a visual demonstration of the psychological traumas the boys endure on the island. This is a good example of using type to deliver a message outside of readability. This reminds me that, in my own work, I can use type as a visual tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment