Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Blocks on blocks on blocks




I chose this particular type specimen because I appreciated the way the designer handled the negative space. This typeface was found in a magazine and the designer uses simple parallel lines of white with the middle line holding color. This 'bar' is then placed however needed to convey which letter is which. Notice on the "R' that the negative space between the legs aren't addressed; this is because the exterior shape of the letter and application of the white bars imply which letter it is. Notice the "O" and the "D". Very similar except the corners of the "O" are blunted round and only the right side of the "D" is.
      I usually don't gravitate towards thick, block type, however this particular example made me reconsider that. The geometric properties and negative space applications found in this typeface make me a better designer because it will force me to reconcile how I handle a letter's negative space. It may also inspire me to try to create different representations for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment