Monday, March 17, 2014

STAY STRANGE


Source: http://www.mariohugo.com/work/c8xdmy1omjdenj7zvvl3jh5sr4v59v

Type Classification: Sans-Serif, Capitalized, Negative, Condensed

What is it?: This is a project that Mario Hugo is working on at the moment for Jessica Walsh of Sagmeister and Walsh.  Those are all the details at the time.

Analyze this piece:  The type looks as if it has been rendered on a xerox machine.  I think he made the type out of neon first, then took it to a xerox machine.  Either way, I think he did a very good job of portraying the strange qualities of type.  The negative gives the type a creepy sort of feel, but the white surrounding the rest of the type makes it seem like the viewer is looking up into a hospital light. However, since he used a sans-serif, it isn't as creepy as using those thin serif typefaces.  This give it the "strange" qualities.

How will this influence my work?:  I haven't used a xerox for any sort of design since my first com des class.  I want to pick it up again.  The results were worth all of the paper wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment