Monday, January 26, 2015

Deyton Koch (January 26, 2015)

Earlier last week I got this interesting envelope in the mail. (Ignore the ripping, my mom opened my mail. Which, by the way, is illegal, mother. Also ignore the address if you are a stalker or murderer.)

Inside this awesome envelope was a little booklet advertising paper. The "French Paper" this company sells is really beautiful but it was their stencil font and their context photography using the font that really caught my eye. Here are some photos of the book:





This is all very random, but a day or two after I got this in the mail, I went to Under the Radar, which is a cool little event that the Austin chapter of AIGA puts on every other month, and the guest speaker was Karl Hebert ("Golden Lunchbox"), who actually is a Texas State Alumni. He was really inspiring and entertaining. Anyway, he designed a little poster that they sell at the meeting to raise money for the event.
So I am going to try to tie the whole blog together now...
First of all, this poster was printed on that awesome French Paper that I was talking about earlier. You can not tell but it is shiny, metallic, and high quality paper and print job. And they were passing out those little advertising booklets that I had gotten in the mail (minus the awesome envelope, that my mom ripped). The poster is a cool story too. Hebert works at McGarrah Jessee now, and apparently they have a weekly meeting. Every week for one year, during this meeting, he would draft out the word "super" and then draw it. So he had a collection of exactly 52 final draft hand-drawn "super"s that be ripped out, collected, and taped to his computer at his desk. This poster does not do the work that he put into this endeavor justice. I tried to take a picture of his slide show, but I was too slow. And, in my opinion, he did not even choose his better ones to make this poster, but I still had to have it. Hebert really encouraged doing things by hand and not relying so much on digital, which I really agree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment