Monday, February 2, 2015

Brooke Garner


This is the cover of a book including short, linked poems, Outside, Inside by Michael Penny. This is a good resource for people who are interested in the universe. The poems begin with the unknown of what is outside and what is inside, and then engages to poems about the true nature of outside/inside our universe. The title of the book is a serif typeface, cut out large with a blue space-like image in the background. The small word ‘inside’ appears equally as effective to the large word ‘outside’ because it is italic and creates tension since it is inside the circle, which represents a globe. The plain cover gives the title of the book a clear hierarchy. I really enjoy type that is rendered partially by hand and appears 3D or with texture. If I were to remove the typography off of the front, the cover simply would not work. My last typography teacher taught me that type itself is more important usually than the designs around it. I will continue to keep this in mind when working with type in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment