Monday, April 28, 2014

Tracy Emin

Classification: san-serif, hand rendered
What: Everyone I Ever Slept With 1963–1995 by Tracy Emin. Tracy created a type and theme for each of the people she has slept with and placed them all in a tent. The tent might signify that she slept with them in a tent(?) or just a place to sleep. The typography is haphazard and in some places almost unreadable, and it might demonstrate her feelings of the people or the experience with them. It looks like a lame high school science board you would see at the science fair, or a little girl's diary. The typography is a bit uninspired and childish, but she might have done that on purpose to contrast with the adult theme.

Audience: I don't really think people were meant to see this. I guess they might have but I'm not sure just who it is supposed to appeal to. It's kind of personal.

Influence: I don't think I will ever do a project like this one. It's a bit childish in an unattractive way and the subject is a little crude for my taste. Well, maybe not so much the subject but the way she executed it. Maybe this was meant to be a personal piece that was never supposed to be viewed.


No comments:

Post a Comment