Monday, April 14, 2014

Cluster Fest | Andrea Johnson


This is a poster I saw in Austin yesterday, and the typography caught my eye.

This is a sans serif type face that has been constructed out of multiple shapes.

This is a poster for a music festival. I can see how all the geometric shapes and the bright colors would attract a festival goer.

 In my opinion, the fancy typography doesn't do much besides attract the eye. Frankly, when I was beginning to type all this out I had to look at the website listed on the poster to figure out what the typography actually said. It says cluster fest, and when I read it the first time I saw "CLMS TEX FEST." This is a problem. It is a good thing that the name of the festival is in the url. 

Despite it's lack of readability, the typography is beautiful. This inspires me to create typography using smaller objects, but I also would focus on making it readable. What's the point of making gorgeous typography if people can't even read it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment